Today I’ve played “Balloon Boy” by “Raithen” and was put in a difficult situation. Generally, I am always on the side of the developers, who put so much love and effort into their apps. I always try to see things positive, no matter how alphaesque a game is. I always try to enjoy a game, but, oh boy, “Balloon Boy” didn’t make it easy for me… I see, however, the huge potential of this game and I will provide as much constructive feedback as possible to help “Raithen” to help our “Balloon Boy” flying high. Let’s get it on!
The first attempt to fly
It’s a cutie!
Let’s take a look at the positive things first: “Balloon Boy” is, without any doubt, a really cute game. The idea of a boy flying with the help of a red balloon is adorable, the dreamland in the back looks almost as lovely as Yoshi’s Island and the clouds with these hilarious ASCII-Meme-Faces are simply priceless.
That’s why I see the huge potential of this game: The setting is inherently consistent and lays a good foundation for a great game. We just have to roll up our sleeves and work on it!
Major and Minor Flaws
Do you also like to-do lists? Well, I do and I’ll gladly provide one for the developer as a wishlist for the next update of “Balloon Boy”. Here we go:
- Please change the font. Whenever I see Arial, I get instant eye-cancer. And I’m not the only one. No, I am really not the only one. I swear to you, the whole world hates Arial and there is no valid reason to use it. ^^
- Speaking of graphics, please change the frame for the stats on the left side of the screen. It looks stretched and blurred like all the ugly pictures from the early days of Droidgamers, where they weren’t capable of matching one single picture with the featured image size.
- Let’s switch from graphics to gameplay and talk about those red and blue rings you have to fly through. If only I could. The boy’s movements are so imprecise, that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for me to fly through these rings. And if you touch one, you die immediately and have to start all over again. This is so annoying, that I’ve started to skip every ring and didn’t even attempt to fly through. This leads us to the biggest flaw of the game:
- The most successful strategy of playing “Balloon Boy” is doing. absolutely. nothing. Sad, but true. If you try to pass the red rings for extra points, you’ll die sooner or later. I guarantee it. If you do nothing, idling around at the bottom of the screen and let every ring and every bird passing by, you will beat the high-score as easy as possible. This corrupts the whole game idea.
- Speaking of annoying things, we have to talk about advertisements. I am totally fine with this approach to monetize games. These ads, however, always appear a few seconds after you’ve died and already started to play the next round. So they actually pop up in the middle of the game. This is a very unfortunate implementation and has to be changed immediately!
As you can see, there are five points on the list, but nothing that cannot be changed with ease.
Bringing Balloon Boy back down to earth
What we love about “Balloon Boy”
- Cute Setting
- Funny Clouds
- Huge Potential
What we’d like to see in the next update
- Improved Graphics
- Improved Gameplay
- Improved Ads
Don’t write this game off! It’s hasn’t fully unlocked its potential yet, but I am absolutely sure that “Raithen” will make it fly. Download it here.
All pictures are in-game screenshots.